Wednesday, April 26, 2006

THE REALLY BIG NEWS

Lucy's wiggly tooth is wiggly no more.
It popped out yesterday while eating strawberries. She wasn't sure what it was at first.
She was very excited.
The digital camera has gone south on us again so I have no shots of her gaping maw.
After we realized what it was I took her in the bathroom and had her rinse with saltwater to staunch the blood.
Later, when she was in the bath, she started hollering for her mother.
I went into the bathroom.
"I was calling for Mom," she said.
"Mom's in the basement, what is it."
"I was going to tell her that you gave me saltwater to rinse my mouth with."
"She knows."
"It's mom's salt," she said.
So this was about tattling on Dad. Like it was not enough that she has been telling everybody that I litter in my own yard.
Yes, I do. Or did. Once!
I was mowing the lawn last summer. I usually drink a beer or two while performing this chore.
I had finished a can at one end of the yard so, I tossed it towards the end that is closer to the door and the refrigerator - and recycle bin.
Lucy was on the deck and witnessed the act.
"YOU'RE LITTERING!!! THAT'S LITTERING!!" she screamed.
I couldn't hear her because I had headphones on and was likely listening to the Tragically Hip.
For some reason, this singular act has stuck in her head and lately she has been telling anybody that looks at her that her father litters in his own back yard, and that she has a wiggly tooth.
And she does have another wiggly tooth.

No comments: