Thursday, April 06, 2006

I am back

Got back from Virginia last night. Had a very exciting time at the American Press Institute. Made some solid connections and got some good ideas that I think I can translate into action fairly soon at the newspaper.
Unfortunately, I was not able to take advantage of the after-hours networking. I was pretty much wiped-out by the end of the day. compared to Gannett events it was leisurely-paced. But, by 4:30 in the afternoon I was ready to lie very still on the bed and not wallow, but dip a big toe or two into self-pity.
I think that's pretty natural. Ninety percent of the time I am taking all of this in stride.
Mary called me, "the Cancer Magnet," the other day and I thought it was pretty funny. I much prefer Dave's nickname of, "The Big Hump," but either is good.
On the medical front, I see the local oncologist Friday a.m.
I am not so sure how much is psychosomatic and how much is real, but it seems to me that my condition has changed since diagnosis and I am anxious to get things going. I don't think, however, I am going to get things going with this guy.
Monday is the day we go to Columbus to the James Cancer Hospital to meet with a surgeon and get his take on the whole deal.
We will be pretty busy until then.
On Saturday, Lucy starts soccer practice. While I was gone the rec center called to see if I would be interested in coaching. I would, but since I have no idea what my treatment will be like, I had to say no. I don't want to start and then have to stop.
I would only be interested because with five- and six-year-olds, I might know a little more about soccer than them. After that, I think they need a real coach.
On Sunday, I am meeting brother Mike and his wife, Dianna in Cleveland to go to an Indians game. It will be my first visit to an American League park. I did see some American Leaguers play once at the All-Star game in Montreal in 1980 something, but I am pretty sure they played by National League rules.
Mike and Dianna are coming back to Marion with me and will watch Lucy on Monday so Mary can come with me to Columbus and not have to try to control the Queen of Cats (her favorite imaginary personality) while we talk with the doctor.
I got a little mug, on which the First Amendment was printed. I showed it to Lucy last night and read the amendment to her.
She made me read it two more times while pointing to each word. I think she was afraid I was leaving things out.
It might be a sign that she is headed towards being an ink-stained wretch like me.
I am not sure how I feel about that.

No comments: