Saturday, April 15, 2006

Comets practice today

The Marion Comets, a ragtag bunch of five- and six-year-old soccer players with hearts of gold and mouths of potty, meet for their second practice today.
Tom and Mary are supplying the snacks.
I wanted to go with a make-your-own omelet bar, but Mary decided the kids would like Rice Crispy Treats and juice boxes better.
I will take the camera today - video camera for the game next week.

We had chemotherapy training yesterday.
A nurse (all the nurses are angels) sat down and gave us all the bad news about what the drug (our friend 5FU) will do to me.
It could be a lot worse. My main concerns are diarrhea and sores in my mouth.
Actually, the way things have been going on the toilet lately, diarrhea will be blessed relief.
The diet part is the most important. I am supposed to eat with the frequency of a Hobbit: Breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, supper, and then snack until bed time. The suggested food is sort of bland - but not awful. I like macaroni and cheese and tapioca pudding.
The bad news is no alcohol ( a shandy-less summer) and no caffeine (Oh well, I won't need help getting my bowels to move anyway).
Without alcohol and caffeine, I think I will take up smoking - how can that possible hurt me now?
I had a rough day with the portacath yesterday. I started out fine but around noon time I was experiencing a lot of pain.
I like to think that my pain threshold is pretty high, but this is something new. The vicodin works really well, but makes me incredibly dopey (fill in your own joke here).
We have tried to explain to Lucy what is going on but until the last few days we haven't gotten much of a reaction from her.
She is starting to realize that something is up and that her care, feeding and amusement are starting to slide down in priority. So, she is doing all she can to be the center of attention. It is a bit trying.
I am positive that we are all going to come out the other side of this much stronger, more mature and with a whole bunch of new bathroom jokes.

No comments: