Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Last Week of Treatment

I am hooked up to my Borg treatment pump. 5 ml per hour of 5Fu (Fluorouracil)is coursing through my veins.

It is much more pleasant than my last treatment.
Last time the port had just been installed in my chest and I was in a considerable amount of pain. Each time it started to feel a little better I had to have a radiation treatment that involved putting pressure on the port and the pain started all over. I came dangerously close to liking the vicodin a little too much.
Yesterday, the doc prescribed some Ambien because he thought I should be getting more than six hours of sleep per night (that's a good night).

I took one last night and slept pretty soundly from 8 to midnight - woke up to pee and then woke up for good around 3 a.m. I got out of be about 3:45 and I feel much better than I did yesterday.
I skipped most of work yesterday mainly because of exhaustion but also because I had to go to two medical appointment and then the pharmacy - which is always a nightmare for me (Mary just breezes right through).

The big family news is that Lucy is not afraid to be upstairs by herself anymore. We can park her up here to play on the computer or watch TV and we can enjoy adult shows on the good TV. By adult shows I mean shows that aren't cartoons. Although the cartoons we watch shouldn't be viewed by children. I do let Lucy watch the Simpsons, simply because it is the most real show on TV.

I was the parent helper at Lucy's pre-school earlier this year.
The teacher was about to read a story and she mentioned that the author's name was Mo Johnson.
"That's a different name, isn't it? Have you ever heard of anyone named Mo?" the teacher asked.
There was a pause and then Lucy raised her hand.
"There's a Moe on the Simpsons," she said and paused for a second. "He runs the beer parlor."
The teacher looked at me and smiled and I shrugged and mumbled something about a broken V chip.



I asked Lucy later where she had heard the term "beer parlor"
"Well when you get ice cream you go to an ice cream parlor so when you want beer you go to a beer parlor." She really is capable of thinking and reasoning, which is hard to believe when you see some of the dumb and dangerous things she does when unattended.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lucy's a pip.

The Graser Serpent is still standing without a single mishap. Fortunately, they do not get poison ivy, though I have now put out enough Roundup to kill 10 acres of poison ivy. It's also good thing Serpents of Stone are not affected by a lot of Roundup.

Hang in there, mate.

dave