Thursday, May 04, 2006

The case of the weeping port

When I go for my daily radiation treatment I have to lie on my belly with my pants pulled down past my butt cheeks.
My head is resting on a hard foam pillow with one of those face holes like you see on massage tables.
To get in the right position I have to put a little bit of pressure on the portacath located on my chest, just below my right collar bone.
For the last week this has caused a little bit of fluid to leak out. Since Monday, I have been putting a piece of gauze over the port to keep it from soiling my shirt.
Mary is going to call the doc today to see what can be done about it. Bless her.
I have been meaning to do it all week, but when I am at work, I get too busy and don't think about it.
The doc told her on the very first day that she was supposed to rat me out when I tried to get out of doing the right thing. This is one of those things.
I really don't want to call the doc, but I really don't want to risk an infection.
Second day of baseball camp (or school as Lucy calls it) is tonight.
Everybody else at the camp says it wears their kids out and they fall asleep on the way home.
It does the exact opposite with mine. She stays up later than usual after these things.
Gotta get to work. I am the man this morning.

No comments: