Saturday, April 16, 2005

Country the way it oughta be


That's Shooter Jennings up there.

He is Waylon Jennings' son.
I have ordered his album and I have only listened to a few clips but I think I am going to like him.
He came to my attention when I was looking at bookings for Martin Zellar (no, he is not playing in Ohio) (click for upcoming gigs in Marion).
Shooter is playing at the same club as Martin; the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa.
Clear Lake, Iowa, is of course where Buddy Holly died and Waylon Jennings, of course, was there that night (American Pie) and did not get on the plane. (isn't this cool? Or, at least, slightly ironic?)
Anyway, I bought Shooter's album based on its title. It's something I used to do as a young man because I just wanted to listen to anything clever.
The album (or CD) is called "Put the 'O' Back in Country"
Irreverant and clever ... I had no choice

This is from his Web site, so take it with a grain of salt, but I like the sentiment:

"Hoss, it's country music, the way it ought to be - alive with blood and thunder, spit and spirit and Southern soul.

Waylon fought this battle in his own way, back in the day. But the sun has sunk and the shadows have spread deeper across country music since then. And as cowboy poseurs roam this dim and dreary land, Shooter sets it ablaze with an affirmation that country music - real country music - is back.

And this time it's not going away.

'The main thing I want people to understand is that I'm a country artist," Shooter says. "Sure, there's rock in there. I've played a lot of rock & roll. I take a lot from it. But it's country music. And I'm going to push it as far as I can because it's that important.'"

No comments: