Saturday, July 22, 2006

Let the fasting begin


Had my last food about 9:30 last night. A rather large handful of animal crackers finished me off. If you haven't had animal crackers in a while I must recommend them. They have a little lemony taste to them. We buy them for me. Lucy likes them, but doesn't get excited.
Parents arrived yesterday afternoon and my dad made a wonderful dinner. Pasta with sugarpeas and asparagus ... Very yummy.
Fortunately my two day clear liquid diet includes black coffee. I am on my first giant mug now -- I might set a record.
In addition to all the comments to my posts yesterday I also got a bunch of e-mail. It's quite humbling.
I want to emphasize though, that one of the main reasons I am being as open as I can about my adventure is that I want to make sure my friends are doing what they can to avoid worse outcomes. Most of you are getting close to 50 - have you had a colonoscopy? Have you guys had a PSA test? Have you guys been to see a damn doctor in the last 5 years?
It is a fact that I could have lived with my symptoms for quite some time while my condition got worse. What's a few bloody movements to a busy guy? Telling my wife about it -- which got me to the doctor -- very likely saved my life. At the least it made what is going on much more treatable.
I am touched and pleased that so many people care about me and are worried about me. The best way you can show your feelings is to take care of yourself.
(puts away soap box and goes back to surfing youtube.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

manilow, yes. celtic, never.