Monday, July 14, 2008

Newton's First Law


I think I had a fairly productive weekend, exercise-wise. I rode for about 6 miles Friday night. I had to stop because I was getting bombarded by beetles. Saturday, after working for about 3 hours at the office in the pre-dawn hours, I rode the 25 miles to Prospect and back. On Sunday I rode 15 miles on my little neighborhood criterion route. Today I did my walk/run workout. Saturday, I had my first bike crash in a long time. I was unhurt and my bike was not damaged and I found a little silver lining. Lucy and I have not be on our bikes together for more than week. She had been busy at a science-oriented day-camp. When we do ride I am constantly cautioning her about her braking habits. She has both coaster brakes and a hand brake on her front wheel. She likes to use the hand brake exclusively. ... My accident occurred because I was trying to come to an emergency stop and I used only my front brake while on a slight downhill. The front wheel stopped but the rest of the bicycle and I kept right on going. ... I described the accident to her as a cautionary tale. “I know why that happened,” she said. I was ready for her to repeat one of my admonitions of front brake overuse when she said, “That’s Newton’s First Law of Motion.” Science camp paid off almost immediately! Later she kept poking small gash I tore in my knee. Poke. “Does that hurt?” “Yes.”Poke. “Does that hurt?” “Yes.”Poke. “Does that hurt?” “Yes.”Poke. “Does that hurt?” “Yes.”Poke. “Does that hurt?” “Yes.”Poke. “Does that hurt?” “Yes.” I am obsessed with the song, “Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)” by Peter Sarstedt.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, I think bicycle accidents are en vogue now. Shame on Mr. Newton and all the apple stuff!!
That's why I Don't like the Tour de France: How you can find the one who's using doping? He has the yellow shirt ...