Thursday, July 24, 2008

Another Endo

One of the things you worry about whenever you step up the intensity of exercise is injury. Whether you are just starting out or you have been at it for a while and are moving to a new level, injury can slow you down. I learned that the hard way in the spring when I added running to my regimen. I immediately overdid it, injured my knee and had to slow down for several weeks before I could start progressing again. I was a little worried this past weekend when I did two successive 35-mile rides. I gave myself two days off from the bike and started riding again yesterday. I felt great - better than ever - after completing 15 miles in 56 minutes. This morning I decided I would do 18 miles and ride as hard as I could. I always feel safe riding in the pre-dawn hours. There is hardly any traffic and what traffic there is, is easy to spot because of their headlights. I always make sure I am well illuminated as well. This morning, going hard, I failed to notice a car, hit my brakes and pulled an endo. That is I catapulted myself over the top of my bike. My left wrist is sore, my right shoulder is bruised and I have a couple of good scrapes on my right knee. I crashed, of course, in the first 200 yards of my ride. Being the stupid boy that I am I completed my planned 18-mile route (average speed: 14.21 mph) and went home to nurse my wounds. Everything looks fine, although I am a bit concerned about yoga tonight with my sore wrist. I might have to modify my downward facing dog. I have learned that injury does not have to put a halt to exercise, but it is so much easier and so much more effective if you can remain injury free. It was 59 degrees when I started riding today. The first song on the MP3 player was “The Judgement” by Elvis Costello.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

First - as a German - I was confused about the urban kind of language. What is an "endo"?? Now I got it: it's like a "wheelie" (some more slang).
Finally, I hope it doesn't hurt you so much and you're fine.

Catnap40 said...

Kind of like a Wheelie, only in this one the front wheel stays on the ground and the rear wheel goes up in the air. The rider goes flying over the handle bars and gets introduced to the street. ouch,.