Monday, June 19, 2006

Report from Columbus

Doc took a little peak where the sun don't shine and said I responded well to treatment.
He said we should expect a call this week with a surgery date for early July.
He said he would try to avoid a colostomy but would make no guarantees. Believe it or not, that sounded positive to me.

I know that many of you are wondering which is worse, the rigid sigmoidoscopy, the rectal ultra sound, the trans-rectal needle biopsy or the digital rectal exam.

They go in this order from worst to first (in my opinion):

Worst - the rectal ultra sound - it lasts a long time and they blow a balloon up in your butt.

Not quite as bad - The rigid sigmoidoscopy - it is fairly quick but in addition to the probe, they blow air up your butt to expand your rectum

Not too bad - the trans-rectal needle biopsy -- this lasts a long time but there is no expanding the probe once it is in you, so you kind of get used to it. You hardly feel the needles.

Best - The digital rectal exam - it has gotten so I don't expect to leave a doctor's office without this happening. I can't say that I like it, but I will take a finger over an ultrasound probe Any day.




This is how doctors learn.

3 comments:

Catnap40 said...

You have to open up your butt cheeks and let the water sluice on through -- it's the only thing to get you clean.

Anonymous said...

you KNOW how that line kills me!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you wore dark...