Friday, September 07, 2007

What's Next?



I had a PSA test last week - something I will do annually for another 9 years to monitor the possible return of prostate cancer - I have not heard from the doctor yet. That means the test was negative.
Yesterday I had a colonoscopy. The doctor reported no polyps, no tumor, no nothing - aside from the missing rectum a totally unremarkable colon.

The doc supplied me with a photo of my Ileal valve, which is the mechanical valve in the junction between small intestine and the first part of the large intestine. The valve prevents reflux from the colon into the small intestine.

I can't remember much of the details of the procedure. I do recall watching a bit on the TV screen and I do recall some pain. I think they gave me more juice because of it. So, I am not sure why he took that particular picture except to prove that he got all the way to the end.

The only photo I have from my first colonoscopy is of my tumor, which was right past the anal ring (I don't think I need to define that). I remember asking the doc (it was a different doc) if he went on past that and he said he he went all the way to the end - still, no picture.

I looked at some pictures of ileal valves this morning and they looked a lot like mine. I guess I have to take the doc at his word that the photo he gave me was actually mine and not just one off stack of identical photos he uses for autographs.

Bottom line is I don't need another scope for at least two years - maybe three. I could easily wait two years before drinking another 4 liters of Golytley.

The big question remains. (dramatic pause) What's next?
It's hard to consider life without some sort of drama.

Lucy go 10 out of 10 on her spelling test this week despite having forgotten to bring home her spelling list all week. Her teacher has started a new "bring this stuff home" folder system that should alleviate that.

I have to go to the Popcorn Festival today to participate in the "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" competition. I do pretty well when I watch Jeopardy reruns so I am not concerned.

No comments: