Tuesday, October 24, 2006

And the good news is .... tempered with bad news

My oncologist says that the standards of treatment for colorectal cancer have changed since I started treatment.
So, even though my scans (pet, cat and mri)have shown no signs of cancer (that's the good news, if you were looking for it) it is strongly recommended that I undergo four more rounds of chemo therapy.

We will start in a couple of weeks.

The drug I will take is called Oxaliplatin (Eloxatin®). Here are some of its side effects:

  • Numbness or tingling in hands or feet.

For some people, these symptoms can be triggered by anything cold, such as iced drinks and cold air.

  • Lowered resistance to infection

Oxaliplatin can reduce the production of white blood cells by the bone marrow, making you more prone to infection.


  • Bruising or bleeding

Oxaliplatin can reduce the production of platelets.which help the blood to clot.

  • Anaemia (low number of red blood cells)

This may make you feel tired and breathless.

  • Nausea (feeling sick)

We call itvomiting

  • Diarrhoea

It is important to drink plenty of fluids if you have diarrhoea.

  • Tiredness and a general feeling of weakness

It is important to allow yourself plenty of time to rest.

So, now I got that going for me...

Someday this will all be behind me (ha ha) and we can all have a big laugh about it...

I must say, however, that it is getting harder and harder to imagine that day.

No comments: