Saturday, August 30, 2008

Running a 5k


View Larger Map

I got into a conversation with some one going by the name of Bigoil on my fitness blog and he suggested I sign up for and run in the Green Camp 5K coming up on Sept. 13. I have never run in any organized race of any kind.

I have been doing some running workouts around my little 3-mile route and I know I can cover the distance before the race organizers pack up and go home for the day. So, I signed up.

Last week I did the route by walking the first five minutes as a warm up, then I alternated running with walking in 90 second intervals until I got to the last 2/10 of a mile from which I concluded the course running. It took me 34 minutes.

Last night I decided it was time to see what I could do. I knew I was not going to run the entire course, but I figured I could run more than I had been. So I ran for the first 10 minutes, then I walked for 90 seconds and ran again for as long as I could before resorting to two minute running intervals with 60 to 90 second walking intervals. I ran the final 2/10. It took me 34 minutes.

I guess if I were to be accurate I should go back and replace all the “rans” with “jogged” but I think you get the idea. I am not so much running as I am clumsily walking with little jumps instead of strides.

I am afraid to put too much running (jogging) into my work outs for fear of injury. I need to weigh a bit less before I start pounding my knees too much. I will be there in Green Camp. I committed money to it. I would like to finish in less than 30 minutes, but I am not going to kill myself.

This morning I want to ride 62 miles on my bike but right now it is a bit foggy. I think I need to wait until that clears a bit

2 comments:

jaime said...

CONGRATS on signing up for the 5k! I can't wait to hear how it goes. On September 13, I'm running the C-T half marathon :) I'll be posting about it, I'm sure!

Wordy girl said...

You can do it!