Sunday, February 24, 2008

Why the line is so long at the face painting booth



It used to be that little girls got a rainbow painted on their cheeks and boys got a spider. Now, it is the full face mask. Boy's are all getting their entire faces painted like Spiderman and girls - if you are like Lucy - go for the dog look. It takes a lot longer than a rainbow.
I hadn't realized what Lucy had asked for and was a bit surprised when I saw the artist start to apply broad brush strokes of burnt Sienna. Knowing Lucy, she could have asked to be painted like one of her African-American friends at school. It might have sounded OK to the high school girl doing the painting but I wasn't sure how well it would play in the rest of the mall. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the whiskers being applied.
It turns out that she wasn't a dog either. She was a puppy. Which means I was treated to high pitched yips for the rest of the day. Fortunately, the full face mask paint job gets itchy after awhile and she removed it before we went absolutely bonkers what with a new puppy in the house.

No comments: